Tuna and Avocado Salad
This is one of my go-to favourites when it comes to making a tasty salad that is high in protein and fat.
- Peel eggs, and mash with a fork
- Peel avocado and squeeze 1/2 lemon on it to keep from discolouring
- Mash eggs and avocado together well – do not be put of by the the ‘pale greeness’ of things so far!
- Drain water from tuna and mix with onions, eggs, avocado, Jalapeno peppers, salt, Tabasco sauce, and mayonnaise
- Serve over lettuce.
Note: the end result doesn’t look much like the picture above, but short of snapping a shot of what is smeared round a bowl in my fridge, it is the best that I can come up with!
- I served this on a base of raw baby spinach leaves sprinkled with ground black pepper and lemon juice. It was well tasty.
- The original recipe calls for ‘dill relish’, but I don’t know what that is. Jalapeno peppers both sound and taste better.
- Obviously you can scale this up by doubling up on the ingredients to make a batch for the week. It seems to last quite well.
- If you are Zone-ing, and need to get get extra fat in (perhaps subbing carb blocks of 2x fat) then go wild with the mayo and avocado
- Red onion is a nice change of pace from the kind of sissy yellow variety. Just saying.
Original recipe can be found at the fascinatingly named, yet somewhat niche, avocadosalad.com. Their picture also looks nothing like the final dish. Go figure.