Movember is a global charitable movement that aims to increase awareness of, and raise money for two male-specific cancers – prostate and testicular cancer.
Some stats from the site:
- 1 in 9 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetime [equates to roughly 8 CrossFit London members].
- In 2008 37,051 new cases of prostate cancer were diagnosed and 10,168 men died.
- Testicular cancer in the UK affects younger men between the ages of 20 and 50. 1,990 men were diagnosed with the disease in 2007.
- The most common cancer in the UK for men is prostate cancer and for women breast cancer.
- Only 26% of men go to their GPs for regular check ups.
From the Movember website:
Big steps have been taken towards changing attitudes and habits relating to men’s health across the world but there is still much to be done to catch up with the women’s health movement. Via the moustache, Movember aims to fulfil its vision of having an everlasting impact on the face of men’s health, by continuing to spark conversation and spread awareness of men’s health each year.
In 2010, over 112,000 men and women got involved and raised £11.7 million.
This year Crossfit London are getting involved by growing a marvellous crop of facial hair and raising money for this important cause.
We have set up a team on http://uk.movember.com which you are welcome to join (click the ‘Get Involved’ tab, and search for ‘CrossFit London’ in the join team section). Further details of money raising events (read: WODs) will follow shortly.
Steven & Tom
[Little editorial note from Steven: Participation in this is entirely voluntary and optional (for men and women!) as is your level of involvement. If nothing else, this is an opportunity to sprout some hair on your top lip for fun times (probably men only).
I appreciate that the charities associated with this campaign may not be your first choice. However, the core messages of this campaign (health, nutrition, exercise, well-being) resonate nicely with our values and goals as a gym and community. That said, should this campaign prove worthwhile and fun, we will gladly entertain additional/alternative ideas in the future.]